Treating Diabetes in MA & RI with Compassion & Care
Diabetes is a condition that affects how your body uses glucose or blood sugar. When you have diabetes, it means that you have high blood glucose or too much sugar in your blood.
There are two types of diabetes that our endocrinologists and diabetes educators at Southcoast Health can help treat in Fall River, Dartmouth, Wareham, MA and Portsmouth, RI:
- Type 1 diabetes — Formerly known as juvenile diabetes, this type occurs when the pancreas produces little or no insulin.
- Type 2 diabetes — This type of diabetes affects how the body processes blood sugar. Those who have family history of diabetes, are overweight, obese or eat a high-calorie diet are more at risk for developing Type 2 diabetes.
You can also have prediabetes, which means that your blood sugar is high but not at the level of Type 2 diabetes. Prediabetes can be reversible.
Through the Southcoast Diabetes Management Program, we help people of all ages across our community gain education and tools to understand and cope with diabetes. We also provide care and treatment for:
Gestational diabetes occurs during pregnancy and can be resolved once the baby is delivered.
What Is an Endocrinologist?
Endocrinologists treat patients with a host of conditions and diseases related to the human body’s complex system of glands and hormones. Hormonal disruptions cause conditions that affect millions of people, including diabetes, thyroid disorders, obesity, infertility, growth disorders, sleep disorders, and endocrine cancers.
Endocrine Disorders that We Treat
The most common endocrine disorders are diabetes mellitus and thyroid disease. Other endocrine disorders that our Southcoast endocrinologists treat include:
- Disorders of the pituitary glands
- Disorders of the adrenal glands
- Disorders related to calcium metabolism
- Disorders of insulin resistance
- Low testosterone levels
- Premature menopause
- Endocrine hypertension
If you and your primary care physician believe that you have an endocrine disorder that requires specialty services, you may be referred to one of our Southcoast endocrinology providers in Fall River, North Dartmouth, Wareham, MA and Portsmouth, RI.
Southcoast Health offers many resources and support for patients with diabetes and endocrine disorders in Fall River, North Dartmouth, Wareham, MA and Portsmouth, RI, as well as the surrounding areas.