What We Do:
- Identify community health and social needs to improve health equity and overall wellness within the South Coast communities.
- Collaborate with community partners to identify, prioritize, and meet the needs of our community.
- Develop strategic planning and implement initiatives that address the root causes of the social influencers of health and create transformational change in factors that can lead to better health. This includes access to quality education and employment, safe and stable housing, healthy food, and transportation.
Data Analysis & Reporting
A commitment to improving the health and wellness of the communities we serve, by identifying pressing health needs and collaborating with community partners to prioritize and meet those needs.
Community Health & Wellness are programs or activities that respond to community needs by providing treatment and/or promoting health and healing that will improve overall health and equity within the community.
- Every three years, Southcoast conducts a comprehensive community needs assessment to measure successes and issues in the region, sharing the results with our community partners and the public online. The information that we collect is used to develop programs, measure outcomes, and inform future strategies.
- To view our most recent reports: 2016 & 2019
- Based on our findings from the Community Health Needs Assessment, our implementation strategy is developed to demonstrate how we will address the identified health needs.
- To view our most recent strategy: Implementation Strategy
Community Benefits Report
- Each year, Southcoast develops and reports on the benefits and programs we provide to our community that address health and social needs, through the Massachusetts Attorney General Office Community Benefits Report.
- To view our most recent reports: 2019 & 2020
The Community Health & Wellness department establishes and maintains positive relationships in the community that help us to lead and convene region wide strategic initiatives.
We collaborate with local health providers, human services agencies, advocacy groups and others to develop cooperative plans and programs to address pressing community health and social needs.
Southcoast CARES programming focuses on developing community wellness initiatives, increasing community engagement and impact, and facilitating strategic community health improvement planning.
Community Benefits Advisory Council (CBAC)
- The Community Health & Wellness Department is under the overall direction of the Community Benefits Advisory Council (CBAC). Made up of a diverse group of regional community leaders, the council advises on activities and expenditures concerning the health and welfare of the community.
2022 CBAC Members
|Helena DaSilva Hughes||CBAC Chair & Trustee Southcoast Health, Executive Director||Immigrants Assistance Center|
|Dr. Ilana Feinerman||Trustee Southcoast Health, Physician of Otolaryngology||Southcoast Health|
|Beth Purdue||Editor, Senior Scope||Coastline Elderly Services, Inc.|
|Chelsie Stephenson||Community Coordinator, Fall River WIC Nutrition Program||HealthFirst Family Center|
|David Borges||Principle||Springline Research Group|
|Rev. David Lima||Executive Director||Interchurch Council of Greater New Bedford|
|Dennis Demarinis||Chairperson||Commission for Citizens with Disabilities New Bedford|
|Erik Rousseau||Administrator||Southeastern Regional Transit Authority|
|Gaelan Adam||Librarian/Editor/Senior Research Associate, Center for Evidence Synthesis in Health Program Manager||Brown Evidence-Based Practice Center|
|James Reid||Executive Director||Veterans Transition House|
|Jeffrey Pelletier||Executive Director||Junior Achievement of SEMA|
|Kathy Downey||Retired Public Health Notice||Board of Health, Marion|
|Katlyn Auty||Director of Business Development||Southcoast Behavioral Health|
|Michelle Hantman||President & CEO||United Way of Greater New Bedford|
|Robert Mendes||Executive Director||Boys and Girls Club of Greater New Bedford|
|Ron Ponte||Patient Family Advisory Council Member||Southcoast Health|
|Sandi Montour||Patient Family Advisory Council Member||Southcoast Health|
|Sylvia Nobre-Hilton||Chief Operating Officer||Coastline Elderly Services, Inc.|
Southcoast Cares Community Champions
- Southcoast CARES Community Champions is made up of a diverse group of internal Southcoast Health leaders that participate in activities surrounding the health and wellness of the community. These members participate on community boards, engage in volunteerism and provide data for yearly reporting.