Trust Your Heart to the Best at Southcoast Health
Our comprehensive cardiac surgery program at Southcoast Health has saved lives — and changed lives — for thousands of people in our community.
We performed the first open heart surgery in southeastern Massachusetts in April 2002, bringing the lifesaving procedure to a region with the state’s highest rate of heart disease. Since then, our cardiac surgery program has brought unprecedented access to advanced services to our community, while receiving exemplary reviews and outstanding patient satisfaction since its inception.
If you would like to learn more about heart surgery in Fall River, New Bedford, Wareham or surrounding areas of Massachusetts and Rhode Island, schedule a consultation with one of our cardiovascular surgeons or find your nearest Southcoast practice.
Complete Cardiac Surgery Program in MA
At Southcoast, our highly experienced and dedicated team performs more than 300 open heart surgeries each year, and, since the program’s inception in 2002, more than 3,000 patients have benefited from this lifesaving surgery.
Our expansive heart surgery program also offers expert care in the following open heart procedures in southeastern Massachusetts:
- Minimally invasive procedures
- Conventional and off-pump coronary bypass grafting
- Aortic, mitral and tricuspid valve repair and replacement
- Adult congenital cardiac defect repair
- Cardiac tumors
- Aortic aneurysm surgery
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR)
- Atrial fibrillation ablation procedures
- And more
Award-Winning Cardiac Surgery
For four years in a row, Healthgrades named Southcoast a Five-Star Recipient for Coronary Bypass Surgery (2012-2016), as well as among the Top 10% in the Nation for Overall Cardiac Services for 10 Years in a Row (2007-2016).
Meet Our Cardiac Surgery Team at Southcoast Health
Our cardiac surgery team includes:
- World-class heart surgeons in Fall River, New Bedford, Wareham and across Rhode Island who have years of experience performing open heart surgery in some of the major teaching hospital in the US.
- Nurses, perfusionists, physician assistants and other support staff who also have extensive experience and training in cardiac surgery.
- Highly trained critical care nurses who staff our Cardiovascular Critical Care Unit at Charlton Memorial Hospital.
- A cardiac case manager who acts as a “navigator” for each patient and their family throughout surgery, recovery and afterward.
The entire team works closely with staff cardiologists at Southcoast who are able to care for and follow their patients throughout their surgery and recovery.
Southcoast Health utilizes the cardiac surgery team at Charlton Memorial Hospital to provide patients with advanced surgical technology and patient-centered heart care in Fall River, Dartmouth, New Bedford, Wareham, MA and parts of Rhode Island.