Comprehensive Neurological Rehabilitation in MA & RI
Neurological rehabilitation focuses on evaluating and treating people with muscle and nervous system problems that affect their physical and mental ability.
Along with a referring doctor, your neuro rehab team at Southcoast Health may include:
- Physical therapists
- Occupational therapists
- Speech-language pathologists
Our therapists are experts in preventing and minimizing disability, helping our patients live as fully as possible. Find a neurological therapist at a Southcoast Rehabilitation Services location in southeastern Massachusetts and Rhode Island to develop an individualized treatment plan to meet your specific needs.
Do I Need Neuro Rehab?
Your doctor may recommend a rehabilitation program if you have or had:
- Problems with cognitive function, including memory loss, confusion and difficulty concentrating
- Problems with movement, including muscle spasticity or stiffness that makes daily activities difficult
- A neurological injury that has caused chronic pain, weakness or limited function
- Surgery, especially a major surgery with a difficult recovery
- Nervous system damage from diabetic neuropathy, stroke or other neurological conditions that affect your ability to function and take care of yourself
- A child who has a disabling neurological condition, including cerebral palsy
Neuro Rehab Services at Southcoast Health
Common rehabilitation services include:
- Adaptive equipment and assistive device recommendations: Orthotics, limb or body braces, prostheses, wheelchairs and communication devices
- Hand therapy: Splinting, range of motion, strengthening and sensory discrimination
- Occupational therapy: Relearning daily activities, regaining control of arms and hands, and using equipment to function independently
- Physical therapy: Therapeutic exercises, manual therapy techniques, functional training and neuromuscular re-education to improve strength, mobility and overall function
- Speech-language therapy: Swallowing therapy and speech therapy to improve speaking, communication, thinking, memory, understanding, reading, writing and swallowing
As part of our rehab services, Southcoast Health offers neuro rehab in Fall River, Dartmouth, New Bedford and Wareham, MA, and surrounding areas of Rhode Island at Southcoast Brain & Spine Center and our hospitals.