Southcoast Health CARES
At Southcoast Health we are committed to our mission of providing healthcare that extends beyond direct patient care. We know that health-related behaviors, along with socioeconomic and environmental factors, are among the greatest measures of our ability to maintain health and overall wellness.
Southcoast CARES works to address the most pressing health and social needs of our region. Initiatives focus on reducing high rates of chronic disease, and increasing health equity, access to care, safe and affordable housing, transportation, healthy and affordable food, and education and employment opportunities.
Community Wellness Initiatives
To expand access to services, outreach, education and connection to basic health and social resources. Southcoast is committed to using its mobile capabilities and technological resources to support those who are most in need.
- The Community Wellness program breaks down traditional barriers to care by bringing health education, vaccinations and immunizations and health screenings to underserved and vulnerable populations across the region. This program improves accessibility for health access through mobile capabilities and supports Southcoast’s ongoing population health initiatives.
- The New Beginnings Program provides support to opioid-exposed newborns and their mothers with the goal of improving long-term outcomes.
- Southcoast Health is proud to partner with NorthStar Learning Center and the Southcoast Coalition for Early Childhood Education, on the Basics, Southcoast initiative. The Basics, are five parenting and caregiving principles that support social, emotional and cognitive development in children from birth to age three.
- Southcoast Resource Connect is an online resource directory for free or low-cost services that connects individuals and families with a wide range of behavioral health and community resources to assist those who may be facing difficult life challenges. Community agencies have the ability to claim their program page, update in real time, and send/accept referrals.
- Organizations may request free online training. Please email Alison LeBert at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Southcoast combats food insecurity and supports the theory that food is medicine by supporting local initiatives throughout the South Coast to provide our community members with easy access to healthy, locally grown food.
- Be Well Wareham is a wellness partnership with the Gleason Family YMCA, that provides the community with free fitness opportunities, guided meditation, chair yoga and nutritional education led by Southcoast providers, Dr. Ashwini Sahni and Jody Reeves, NP.
- Baby Cafés and Breastfeeding Support Groups for pregnant and breastfeeding mothers, provides peer support and one-on-one help from specially trained health professionals is available, including professional lactation support. For the latest information visit our events calendar.
Community Engagement and Impact
Giving back to our community is at the heart of the Southcoast mission, as we are More than Medicine.
- The Impact Opportunity Grant Program is a competitive grant process focused on addressing unmet health needs on the South Coast.
- The Access to Technology Grant Program is a competitive grant process focused on improving access to and knowledge of technology on the South Coast.
- Southcoast collaborates with more than a hundred community partners to understand, prioritize and develop programming to address the most pressing needs of our region. We participate in regional coalitions to builds our coordination and collaboration with our community partners.
- Volunteering is a great opportunity for individuals, friends, and family to get involved, change lives, and build the healthiest community possible! Together, we can change lives and shape communities for the better!
- Volunteer SouthCoast is a FREE online resource that connects people interested in volunteering with volunteer opportunities in the area and allows you to track your impact. Search by your interests, availability or zip code to find the right opportunity for you.
Collection Drives & Donations
- Throughout the year, Southcoast Cares supports local organizations that serve individuals and families in need across the South Coast and Aquidneck Island regions.
Most recently, Southcoast has supported the United Way of Greater New Bedford’s Hunger Hero’s event, My Brother’s Keeper Christmas Program, and the YWCA’s Justice Flow Project.
Community Health Improvement Planning
Southcoast’s Community Health Improvement Planning is driven by existing initiatives and allows us to bring together our partners to develop a long-term, community approach with the goals to address health inequities and improve health outcomes in the South Coast region.
Identified priority areas:
- Economic Opportunity
- Environmental Health and Wellness
- Housing and Homelessness
- Behavioral Health