Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) in Fall River, New Bedford & Wareham, MA
An MRI (or magnetic resonance imaging) is a painless imaging test that creates detailed pictures of any organ, bone or tissue inside the body. An MRI involves special magnets, radio waves and a computer, but not X-rays.
MRIs are helpful in diagnosing and assessing the extent of injuries and disease. MRIs often provide more detailed information (especially about soft tissues like nerves, muscles, ligaments and blood vessels) than ordinary X-rays, CT scans or ultrasounds.
Our doctors at Southcoast use MRIs to:
- Diagnose the cause of symptoms and conditions, such as bleeding, unexplained pain, numbness, seizures, vision problems, bone, joint and muscle problems, and signs of cancer, stroke or aneurysm
- Rule out potential disorders or diseases, such as cancer
- Plan surgical procedures, such as biopsies and tumor removal
- Assess treatment effectiveness after surgery, radiation therapy and chemotherapy
What to Expect from MRI at Southcoast Health
A radiologic technologist will perform your MRI at one of our hospitals or an imaging center. An MRI lasts from a few minutes to an hour or more, and all patients need to remove all metal and change into a hospital gown.
During an MRI, you’ll lie on a table inside the MRI scanner. The scanner is shaped either like a long tube or an open, flattened ring (open MRI). You have to be as still as possible while the technologist takes a series of pictures.
You may need a contrast dye to highlight certain body parts or systems, such as your blood vessels. There is no risk of radiation exposure with an MRI.
Understanding Your MRI Results
A radiologist will read your MRI results and discuss them with your doctor. Your doctor will review the results and next steps with you.
MRIs can help your health care team diagnose:
- Internal injuries
- Brain and nervous system problems
- Cardiovascular system problems
- Gastrointestinal conditions
- Bone and joint conditions
- Eye and ear conditions
- Female reproductive diseases and causes of infertility, including endometriosis and uterine fibroids
- Tumors, including cancer and benign masses of the brain, lungs, breast, colon, prostate and female reproductive organs
Southcoast Health provides exceptional magnetic resonance imaging in southeastern MA and RI to patients of all ages.