Preventing & Treating Sports Injuries
At Southcoast Health, we are passionate about keeping our community healthy and active. One of the ways we do that is by helping prevent and treat sports injuries in Fall River, Dartmouth, New Bedford and Wareham, MA.
To prevent injuries in any sport, you should always adhere to the rules of your particular sport or game when participating. There are also sport-specific injury prevention techniques for the following recreational sports.
- Soccer: Always use proper equipment, including well-fitting shin guards and cleats. Shin guards should be worn during practices. Balls should also be appropriately sized for the age of the child playing.
- Skiing: The greatest occurrence of skiing injuries takes place during the last few runs of the day. Be especially careful during this time, when conditions have deteriorated and you may be feeling fatigued both physically and mentally.
- Baseball/softball: Most injuries in baseball and softball involve the throwing arm and shoulder. These injuries usually happen through overuse. The throwing arm and shoulder should be warmed up and cooled down properly to prevent injury.
- Tennis: Tennis elbow is one of the most common orthopedic injuries. It is an overuse injury that is most often caused by incorrect technique. Make sure your technique is correct, and do simple exercises, such as wrist curls and reverse wrist curls to keep your forearm strong and flexible.
- Golf: The most common golf injury is lower back sprain. You can reduce the risk of sprain by doing conditioning exercises that include abdominal crunches or partial sit-ups. Do chest stretches, toe touches and straight leg raises to keep the lower back limber.
Specialists in Sports Injuries in MA & RI
At Southcoast, our team of physicians, surgeons and staff offer a specialty in sports medicine, orthopedics, surgical services and more to ensure we can meet the needs of our community. If you have any questions about sport-related injuries, ask your doctor to refer you to a certified athletic trainer or physical therapist on the Southcoast rehabilitation team.
Southcoast Health offers treatment for sports injuries for patients in Fall River, Dartmouth, New Bedford and Wareham, MA and parts of RI through Charlton Memorial Hospital, Tobey Hospital, St. Luke’s Hospital and Southcoast Surgery Center.