Are You Eligible for Weight Loss Surgery at Southcoast Health?
Weight loss surgery is not right for everyone and requires a lifelong commitment to your health. At Southcoast Health, we work to ensure that we provide weight loss programs that meet our patients’ unique needs. That’s why we have select conditions for those interested in our weight loss programs in southeastern Massachusetts.
To be considered a candidate for surgery, you must meet the following requirements:
- Body mass index calculator (BMI) of 40+ or 35+ with an obesity-related disease or treatment, such as heart disease, hypertension, Type 2 diabetes or obstructive sleep apnea
- 18 years or older
- Stable psychological condition
- No active substance use disorder or condition
- Non-smoker (tobacco or cannabis)
- Previously failed medically supervised attempts at weight loss
We also require that all our patients review and sign a patient contract to ensure that all our patients understand the commitment of weight loss surgery.
Insurance for Weight Loss Surgery
Before proceeding with weight loss surgery in Fall River or Wareham, MA, it is important to determine what your insurance will cover.
To ensure the most efficient process, call your insurance provider to ask the following questions:
- What are the criteria needed to proceed with weight loss surgery?
- Are there any exclusions?
Most insurance providers have specific requirements that must be met in order to obtain coverage for bariatric surgery. Our team has created a general guideline for some of the more common providers to help facilitate this process.
Find Out More About Weight Loss Surgery in MA & RI
Discover control and confidence about your weight by consulting with a physician at Southcoast Health about your weight loss surgery options. We also offer information sessions about our weight loss programs and support groups for those who undergo treatment at the Southcoast Center for Weight Loss.
Find all of the resources you need for weight loss at The Southcoast Center for Weight Loss, serving patients in Fall River, Dartmouth, New Bedford and Wareham and surrounding areas of MA and RI.