St. Luke’s Hospital Auxiliary awards $5,000 in college scholarships to Greater New Bedford students
New Bedford, Mass. —Southcoast Health announced today that St. Luke’s Hospital Auxiliary awarded $5,000 in scholarships to high school seniors from Greater New Bedford who will enter college in the fall to pursue a career in healthcare.
The scholarships were presented by David Gibbs, chair of the Scholarship Committee of the St. Luke’s Hospital Auxiliary, at an event June 12 at Bittersweet Farm, in Westport, to:
- Myra Resends Medeiros, a graduate of Greater New Bedford Regional Vocational Technical High School, who will attend Salve Regina University to study biology with a pre-med track to become a dentist;
- Alexis Medeiros, a graduate of Greater New Bedford Regional Vocation Technical High School, who will enter Brockton Hospital School of Nursing;
- Elizabeth Cardelli, a graduate of Bishop Stang High School, who will attend Springfield College to purse a degree as a physician’s assistant;
- Alexis Belval, a graduate of Greater New Bedford Regional Vocational Technical High School, who will pursue a nursing degree at UMass Dartmouth;
- Carol Ann Mello, a graduate of Dartmouth High School, who will attend Quinnipiac University to become a physician’s assistant.
The St. Luke’s Hospital Auxiliary is a non-profit organization whose purpose is to render services to St. Luke’s Hospital, its tax-exempt subsidiaries, and its patients; and to assist in promoting the health and welfare of the community. Members serve as ambassadors to the community on behalf of the hospital. For more information or to join, please call Anne at 508-992-3781.
Photo: L-R David Cordeiro, Co- President, St. Luke’s Auxiliary; Alexis Belval, Elizabeth Cardelli, Alexis Medeiros, Myra Resendes Medeiros, Caroline Mello, Joyce Amaral, Co-President St. Luke’s Auxiliary, and David Gibbs, Scholarship Chair