Important Information for Providers
This patient may be presenting with Febrile Neutropenia (FN), which is a medical emergency. Please follow the guidelines below.
- Triage patient as emergent.
- Patient should be triaged to private room to minimize risk of exposure.
- No rectal temperatures in neutropenic patients.
- Neutropenic precautions must be initiated.
Notify the Southcoast Health Cancer Center Oncologist/Hematologist on call at:
- Fairhaven: 508-973-3000
- Fall River: 508-973-7888
- Blood culture x2 from separate peripheral sites. If patient has an implanted port, draw one blood culture from port and one peripherally.
- Urinalysis and Urine C&S (if clinically indicated)
- Chest X-ray (if clinically indicated)
- CBC and CMP, LDH, PT-INR.
- Determine if the patient is high or low risk: https://www.mascc.org/mascc-fn-risk-index-score