We regret to inform you that as of April 1, 2019 Cigna will no longer cover the cost of your health care provided by Southcoast Health except in limited circumstances.
Your care which will be affected includes, but is not limited to:
- Office Visits with your Southcoast Health doctor
- Inpatient Hospital Care at St. Luke’s, Charlton Memorial, or Tobey Hospitals
- Lab Work
- Physical Therapy
If you are enrolled in Cigna CareLink through Tufts Health Plan, but not otherwise covered by Cigna health insurance, please be aware that this does not apply to you.
Cigna may cover your care under the following circumstances in accordance with Cigna’s Continuity of Care policy and Massachusetts requirements:
- if you visit a Southcoast Health Emergency Department with an emergency condition;
- if you are in your second or third trimester of pregnancy and receive Continuity of Care approval;
- if you are in the middle of treatment for a serious condition and receive Continuity of Care approval;
- if you obtain primary care services from a designated Southcoast Health provider (for at least 30 days); or
- if you are terminally ill and receive Continuity of Care approval.
Please speak to your provider if you feel you may be eligible for Continuity of Care approval to be able to continue seeing your Southcoast Health doctor. Continuity of Care may be available for patients in other clinical circumstances than those listed above. A Continuity of Care form must be submitted to Cigna by May 1, 2019, in order for you to obtain Continuity of Care approval.
You may also call us at 844-297-2952 for help applying for Continuity of Care, or if you have questions about how your care may be affected. Trained staff are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to assist you.
This page contains resources that we hope will help our valued patients, who are enrolled in a Cigna health insurance plan, understand how this change will affect them and their health care.
We are sorry for the inconvenience this may cause you.
Thank you for the honor of trusting us with your healthcare.