10 Steps to Keep Cold and Flu Away
Keep yourself and others healthy
With cold and flu season fast approaching, follow these 10 steps to keep yourself and others from getting sick:
- The best way to prevent the flu is to get a flu vaccination.
- Practice good hand hygiene, using soap and water or hand sanitizer frequently throughout the day.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Practice cough etiquette at all times: cough or sneeze into your elbow, discard used tissues and clean your hands.
- Stay home when you are sick for at least 24 hours after fever is gone without the use of fever-reducing medication.
- Avoid touching your mouth and nose, especially when sick.
- Eat well, exercise routinely and stay active.
- Get enough sleep and manage stress.
- Clean and disinfect your environment frequently, including shared equipment and computer keyboards.
- Take flu antiviral medications to reduce flu symptoms if prescribed by your doctor.