Enhanced Wound Healing with Hyperbaric Oxygen Treatment in Fall River, MA
Southcoast Health is proud to say that we are the first wound care center in the South Coast region to offer hyperbaric medicine treatment.
Hyperbaric oxygen treatment, or HBOT, is a treatment where the patient breathes 100% oxygen inside a pressurized chamber. The treatment quickly delivers high concentrations of oxygen to the bloodstream, assists in the healing process of wounds and is effective in fighting certain types of infection. It also stimulates the growth of new blood vessels and improves circulation.
Southcoast Wound Care Center uses hyperbaric oxygen treatment in Fall River, MA to treat a variety of conditions, including:
- Enhancement of healing in selected problem wounds
- Diabetic wounds of lower extremity
- Certain soft tissue infections
- Radiation tissue damage
- Skin grafts and flaps
- Crush injuries
- Acute traumatic peripheral ischemia
What to Expect During HBOT Treatment
Once you are comfortably positioned inside the hyperbaric chamber, the pressure will gradually be increased and the temperature will temporarily rise. You may experience fullness in your ears as a result of the increased pressure. The technician will instruct you in ways to help clear the pressure and relieve any discomfort.
A treatment session is administered daily and the number of treatments you receive will depend on your diagnosis. Most treatment sessions last approximately two hours. While undergoing HBOT treatment, you may watch TV, relax or fall asleep.
Our Hyperbaric Medicine Program at Southcoast Wound Care Center
Our wound care specialists offer a trusted hyperbaric medicine program, which includes:
- Two state-of-the art hyperbaric chambers located at Southcoast Wound Care Center at Charlton Memorial Hospital
- Medically supervised treatment with physicians and technicians who have special training and expertise in hyperbaric medicine
- Clinical protocols provided by Healogics, Inc., Southcoast’s partner in wound care
Southcoast Health provides wound care through hyperbaric oxygen treatment in Fall River, MA at Charlton Memorial Hospital.