Comprehensive Emergency Heart Care at Charlton Memorial Hospital
A fast and accurate diagnosis/treatment of a heart condition gives you the highest likelihood for a full recovery. At the Charlton Memorial Hospital Emergency Room, we offer the most comprehensive emergency heart care in southeastern Massachusetts and Rhode Island.
Cardiovascular disease is the leading global cause of death*. Our Southcoast Health mission is to improve the survival rates of related cardiac diseases, conditions, and emergencies. During a cardiac emergency, every second counts. Our emergency heart care program includes a full spectrum of care, including:
Staff of experts
- Specialized Cardiac Critical Care team of emergency physicians, cardiologists, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, nurses, and support staff available 24/7
- The Cardiac Critical Care team works full-time responding to cardiac emergencies and have training in specialty areas, including critical care, cardiology, cardiac catheterization, cardiac anesthesia, and more. Southcoast Health provides advanced monitoring and support equipment, enabling the team to recognize problems promptly and respond effectively.
Intensive rapid response team
- The STEMI (ST-Segment Elevation Myocardial Infarction) program comprises a local heart attack response team that oversees the activation of paramedics and Charlton’s emergency room and cardiac catheterization laboratory for rapid identification and treatment of severe heart attacks throughout southeastern MA and RI.
- Coordinated care between EMS, Charlton Memorial Emergency Room and cardiology interventional team to get patients the care they need as quickly as possible, enabling rapid door-to-balloon time:
- Symptom onset, patient contacts emergency medical care (calls an ambulance), a diagnosis of STEMI has been made, and the cardiac cath lab is alerted.
- The Cardiac Critical Care team is alerted and anticipates patient arrival in the cardiac cath lab.
- The life-saving procedure begins with the opening of the blocked artery.
State-of-the-art, life-saving equipment
- Fully outfitted cardiac catheterization, electrophysiology lab, and interventional cardiology with onsite cardiac surgery support
- All necessary procedures can be performed at one location, eliminating the need to transport patients to additional facilities
Experts in Emergency Heart Procedures
You can trust the experience of Southcoast Health, as we perform more cardiac catheterizations in southeastern Massachusetts than any other community hospital system in the state, with more than 2,000 patients receiving this treatment each year. Charlton Memorial Hospital has one of the most active catheterization labs in a community hospital in Massachusetts and Rhode Island.
Compare Our Emergency Heart Care Procedures to Neighboring Facilities*
Southcoast Health provides cardiac care in Fall River, Dartmouth, New Bedford and Wareham, MA and Rhode Island. We offer general cardiology consultation in our practices throughout the region.
*Compared to hospital(s) within 15 miles of Charlton Memorial Hospital.