NEWS – Temporary Location Opens for Tobey Hospital Emergency Department
Please check below for changes to patient parking and access to Emergency Department and other services
- Patient parking is now located in the front section of the west parking lot on High Street, at the front of Tobey Hospital.
- Patient access to the temporary emergency room location is through the hospital’s main entrance on High Street – not through the back of the hospital where it previously was.
In partnership with philanthropic donations, Southcoast Health brings Tobey Hospital a new emergency department, quadrupling the size of the greater Wareham area’s destination for emergency care.
In October of 2019, residents of Wareham, elected officials and Southcoast Health staff celebrated the start of construction on Tobey Hospital’s emergency department expansion, a $25 million capital project funded in part by philanthropic contributions from the community.
When complete, the expansion will quadruple the facility’s space to 25,000 square feet and increase the number of treatment rooms from 15 to 27. Behavioral health patients will have access to six specially designed treatment rooms for provider response to substance abuse disorders and mental health crises. The current emergency department was last renovated in 1987 and was meant to accommodate 15,000 patients annually, half the 30,000 patients the Tobey emergency department now receives each year. The renovated emergency department will accommodate 40,000 patients per year.
“This is how a community-based health system responds to community needs,” Southcoast Health President and CEO Keith Hovan told the crowd at the groundbreaking ceremony, which took place during Emergency Nurses Week. “Patients will be treated in privacy, and families will wait in comfort. Our staff will deliver their excellent clinical care in spacious surroundings that enhance their work experience. As a former nurse manager of a busy emergency department, I know firsthand how demanding the emergency medical setting is. As a father, husband and friend, I also know what it’s like to be on the other side.”
Many Tobey Hospital Staff and Wareham residents look forward to the improvements… continue reading the full story here.
Take a Live Look at the Construction Site
This exciting renovation and expansion includes:
- An additional 17,500 sq. ft. of space for a total of 25,000 sq. ft. which is more than triple the size of the current ED.
- Approximately 30 treatment rooms including dedicated rooms for bariatric patients, behavioral health patients and patients in need of advanced life saving and isolation/decontamination.
- Increased capacity to accommodate the growing needs of the community.
- Larger, private rooms with access to the latest treatment technologies at the bedside.
- Enhanced areas for greater patient comfort, safety, privacy and infection control.
- Improved workspaces for staff and sight lines from a centralized nursing station.
- Improved triage and hospital throughput, resulting in shorter wait times for everyone needing care.