Save Time & Worry with Digital Mammography (Tomosynthesis) in MA & RI
Our health and wellness services available to women at Southcoast Health has expanded with the addition of a new digital mammography system. A digital mammography (tomosynthesis) allows us to provide you with the highest quality of care for the early detection and prevention of breast cancer. Because your breast is made mostly of soft tissue, normal X-rays appear foggy and make it difficult to find signs of early cancer. With our new digital mammography system at Southcoast, our radiologists will be able to see clear electronic images of your breasts using high-resolution monitors.
What is a Digital Mammography?
Unlike a standard mammogram, a digital mammography uses solid-state detectors to capture x-ray energy and convert it into a digital image. This allows our radiologists to manipulate the image to detect abnormalities in the breast and easily identify masses. With this digital technology, our radiologists can adjust the brightness, change the image contrast and zoom-in on areas that are of question to have a greater visibility of possible tumors.
Digital Mammography Benefits
Digital mammograms offer numerous benefits for women over the traditional mammogram:
- Require fewer retakes than film-based systems due to advanced exposure techniques, reducing your total exposure to X-ray radiation.
- Shorter exam times and less call-backs to gather additional images due to poor visibility.
- Images can be manipulated for a clearer result due to a mammogram’s high-end digital technology.
At Southcoast Health, we also have Computer-Aided Detection (CAD) technology built in to our digital mammography units. Digital CAD highlights characteristics commonly associated with breast cancer, flagging abnormalities to help radiologists detect early signs of breast cancer.
How to Prepare for Your Digital Mammogram
At Southcoast Health, we’ll provide you with instructions on how to prepare for your digital mammography prior to when you come in. But here are some ways you can get ready for your mammography before your appointment:
- Send over your previous mammogram results prior to your appointment if you had one at a different facility.
- Do not put on deodorant, perfume, lotion or powder under your arms, as these can create shadows on your mammogram.
- Wear shorts, pants or a skirt instead of dress, so you can be comfortable and not have to undress completely.
- Avoid an exam right before or during your period. During this time your breasts can be tender, causing discomfort during the exam.
- Please inform our scheduler and technologist if you have breast implants. There are special techniques for breast implants that may take more time.
After your appointment, your doctor will contact you with the results after a radiologist has reviewed your mammogram. In some cases, you may need to return for a diagnostic mammogram or for another breast imaging exam, such as an ultrasound.
Digital Mammography at Southcoast Health
At Southcoast Health, you will find the best digital mammography units at all of our mammography sites throughout the region, making it the largest digital system in the South Coast. Our locations in New Bedford, North Dartmouth, Fall River and Wareham, MA that offer mammograms also work closely with our Southcoast Health Breast Centers. Our breast surgeons and specialists will help guide you through the entire diagnosis process, step-by-step, so you can get the answers and support you need without stressful delays. Schedule your yearly mammogram or ask any questions you may have about our digital or 3D mammography by contacting your nearest breast imaging location.
Southcoast Health provides women across the South Coast in MA and RI with digital mammography and advanced imaging services.