Adult Primary Care in Southeastern MA & RI
Adult primary care is a branch of medicine that centers on the general care of adults, as opposed to a specific medical problem, organ system or diagnosis. At Southcoast Health, we offer comprehensive adult primary care in Fall River, New Bedford and Wareham, MA that can span over your adult lifetime. Because of this long-term scope, you have the opportunity to participate in your health care through open communications and partnership with your physician.
Primary Care Doctors for Adults
Our adult primary care physicians include:
- Family medicine doctors: Provide continuing, comprehensive care of individuals and family members of all ages.
- Geriatricians: Provide primary care for older adults (usually 65 years and older).
- Internists: Often care for adults with complex medical issues, but also provide primary care for adults of all ages.
- Obstetrician-gynecologists (OB/GYNs): Provide care related to pregnancy and the female reproductive system, but may also provide primary care for women of all ages.
- Physician assistants and nurse practitioners: Can provide adult primary care under the supervision of a doctor.
Primary Care for Adults
Primary care physicians are helpful because they are your first point of contact in the medical system and coordinate your overall health care. You can view your family doctor as your advocate in the health care system.
Adult primary care can cover a variety of general health functions, including:
- Diagnosis and treatment of common diseases, disorders and conditions
- Disease prevention and wellness prevention
- Education and counseling about healthy lifestyle choices
- Health maintenance
- Referral to specialists and access to our health care facilities
Adult Primary Care Doctors Near Me in MA & RI
Take advantage of your local adult primary care physician at Southcoast Health, and begin a lifelong relationship with your provider. You can find a physician near you at one of our family practices in Fall River, Swansea, Dartmouth, Westport, New Bedford, Wareham, MA and Middletown, Portsmouth and Tiverton, RI. Contact us to learn more or for any questions about our adult primary care services.