We want you to succeed.
At the Southcoast Center for Weight Loss, patients are in regular contact with experts in nutrition and exercise, as well as nurses, psychologists and socials workers who run weekly support groups to help you succeed.
Our patients go through a series of steps that are proven to ensure their success.
Step 1: Attend seminar
Step 2: First office visit with surgeon
Step 3: Nutritional evaluation with dietician (required)
Step 4: Psychological evaluation (required)
Step 5: Pre-op testing and medical clearance
Step 6: Second office visit with surgeon or nurse practitioner
Step 7: Office visit with weight loss surgery nurse clinician/educator
Step 8: Surgery
Step 9: Ongoing post-op support, including support groups
We require that all our patients review and sign a Patient Contract to ensure that all our patients understand the commitment of weight loss surgery.
Ongoing, Supportive Programs
We are the region's leader in weight loss surgery, offering unprecedented support through a full-service program consisting of pre-op education and ongoing post-op support to provide support and maximize success outcomes for our patients.
Preoperative care for optimum success outcomes:
- Behavioral workshop
- Laboratory and medical screenings
- Nutritional support and guidance
Fitness support in partnership with the YMCA Southcoast:
- Pre-op and post-op bariatric-sensitive/specific programs
- Morning and evening classes
- Popular program, with average class attendance of 8 to 10 patients
Free support groups on nutrition, psycho-social and medical topics:
- Well-attended, with monthly average of 120 to 160 patients
- Series of small groups (10 to 20 patients)
- Conveniently located in Wareham, Cape Cod, New Bedford and Fall River
- Quarterly newsletter to all patients
Bariataric surgery support groups are held regularly throughout the South Coast. Currently, groups are held on the following days:
- Mondays at Tobey Hospital.
- First Wednesday of each month at The Cape Codder.
- Last Saturday of each month at St. Luke's Hospital (White Home Living Room).
- Second Wednesday of each month at White's of Westport.
Hospital-based support groups are at various locations in the hospital, which are posted on a board in the main lobby.
For questions about any of these groups, call Psychology Associates at 508-295-2699.
Our support groups are free to our patients.
A Note About Our Support Groups: Support groups are exclusively for patients who have had their weight loss surgery at the Southcoast Center for Weight Loss. Because of our large volumes and specialized programs, we cannot accommodate patients who have had their surgery at other hospitals.
While we acknowledge that family support is a vital part of successful weight loss, our support groups are designed for patients only. We hope to periodically have other programs that will include both patients and their families.
Links & Resources
Many websites contain helpful information about weight loss surgery. Search terms such as obesity surgery, obesity, weight loss surgery or bariatric surgery will lead you to helpful information.
Below is a list of sites our patients have found useful.
Bariatric Surgery Information
- American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery
- Bariatric Times
- New England Bariatric Support
- Weight Loss Surgery Info
- Thinner Times
Obesity & Eating
Groups Run By Post-Op Patients
- Office of Dietary Supplements
- Bariatric Advantage
- Mass Nutrition
- Bariatric Eating
- Vitamin Life
- The Vitamin Shoppe