Camp Angel Wings and Children's Bereavement Workshops
Southcoast VNA will be hosting its 12th annual Camp Angel Wings. A two-day bereavement camp experience for children and teens, ages 6 through 15 who are grieving the loss of a loved one.
July 16 & 17, 2016
North Main Street
Click here to download the 2016 Camp Angel Wings brochure (PDF)
Some camp activities include:
- Team Building
- Sharing of loss
- Focused arts and crafts
- Activities memorializing loved ones
- Breakfast, lunch & snack
Camp Angel Wings was developed for children and teens who share like experiences in grief. The camp provides them an educational, therapeutic experience that is also an enjoyable one.
The camp counters a sense of isolation that children can feel after losing a loved one. Participating in activities such as swimming, focused arts and crafts activities and small discussion groups where children and teens can explore their many thoughts and feelings about grief. It also encourages them to try new or familiar activities that help them feel good about themselves.
In addition to fun-filled activities, Camp Angel Wings:
- Gives children and teens the opportunity to remember their loved ones.
- Is staffed by hospice nurses, licensed social workers, chaplain, trained volunteers and caring members of the community who have a heart for helping people.
- Allows boys and girls to be themselves and grieve without feeling pressured.
Camp Angel Wings helps reduce the sense of isolation while improving self-esteem for children and teens who share like experiences in grief.
- Healing and grief have no timetable. We work to prepare our campers for the road ahead and give them tools to help make those days more manageable.
- All groups follow a structured schedule of activities. Children are free to participate in activities at their own comfort level.
- Campers ages 6 to 15 can enjoy the waterfront setting which contributes to the healing environment.
Call for Volunteers
Southcoast Visiting Nurse Association is seeking volunteers for Camp Angel Wings, a bereavement day-camp experience for children ages 6 to 15 grieving the loss of someone close to them.
- Camp counselor to a group of 6 - 7 children (requires a commitment to the entire weekend)
- Lead or assist with grief activities such as grief walk, petting zoo, arts & crafts, planting flowers, decorating masks, photo frames and memory boxes
- Completion of volunteer application
- Two references
- Successful completion of state background check
- Participation in camp training
To volunteer or for more information, contact the camp director at 508-973-3426 or email@example.com
Children's Bereavement Workshops
A five-week workshop for children ages 6 to 13 who are grieving the death of a loved one. The one-hour sessions focus on stories, crafts and group discussions on:
- Learning about grief
- Shared memories
- Helping oneself and others
For More Information
200 Mill Road
Fairhaven, MA 02719