Aquatic Rehabilitation Outpatient Program
Our comprehensive Aquatic Rehabilitation Outpatient Program is distinctive in its ability to offer an individually designed program that combines the beneficial qualities of water along with traditional physical therapy.
Aquatic therapy is beneficial for a wide variety of conditions, including:
- Acute or chronic sprains and strains
- Balance dysfunction
- Ligament reconstructions
- Limited neurological conditions
- Spinal surgery
- Total joint replacements
- Tendon repairs
Aquatic therapy is often used along with traditional, land-based physical therapy. This combination of treatment provides the greatest possible benefit to each patient.
Benefits of Aquatic Exercise
- Decreases pain and stiffness.
- Promotes muscular relaxation.
- Increases strength and endurance.
- Improves balance and coordination.
- Increases range of motion and flexibility.
- Increases circulation and reduced swelling.
- Improves walking quality.
- Licensed physical therapists and physical therapy assistants.
- Evaluation of musculoskeletal or neuromuscular diagnosis & development of an individualized treatment plan.
- Licensed by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health.
- Handicapped accessible entry into pool.
- Temperature controlled to stay within 82 to 84 degrees F.
- Full locker and shower facilities.
- Handicapped parking available.
Beginning Aquatic Rehabilitation
You do not need to be a member of the YMCA to begin an aquatic physical therapy program. However, a medical doctor's prescription for physical therapy, which is deemed medically necessary to increase independence or enhance activities of daily living, is required to begin therapy.
Most insurance providers will cover the expense of this service with a physician prescription noting a medical diagnosis appropriate for aquatic physical therapy. It is advisable that you contact your insurance company to discuss your out-of-pocket expense for aquatic physical therapy as you may have a co-payment.
Appointments can be made by calling the following locations:
Tobey Outpatient Rehab
One Recovery Road
Wareham, MA 02571
Note: Services are provided by Southcoast Rehabilitation staff at the Gleason YMCA in Wareham and the New Bedford YMCA.
Southcoast Brain and Spine Rehab
480 Hawthorn Street
Dartmouth, MA 02747