For Immediate Release:
June 13, 2013
Southcoast Pulmonary Function Laboratory relocates to new Wareham location
WAREHAM, Mass. — Southcoast™ Health System’s Pulmonary Function Laboratory in Wareham has relocated from Tobey Hospital to Southcoast Health System at Rosebrook, 100 Rosebrook Way in Wareham. Pulmonary Function Testing (PFT) services are now available to patients at the new Rosebrook location which is a full-service medical practice facility that brings together more than 20 primary care and specialty physicians, the Southcoast Center for Weight Loss and comprehensive outpatient radiology and laboratory services. The transition to Southcoast Health System at Rosebrook will be seamless for patients, requiring no action on their part.
The new outpatient PFT laboratory at Rosebrook features state of the art pulmonary equipment. Testing is performed by qualified medical personal and is available to both adult and pediatric patients. Pulmonary function testing is completely painless and helps physicians diagnose and treat conditions such as shortness of breath, asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, and work related disorders. PFT is also used for pre-surgical screenings, as well as post drug, radiology and chemotherapy evaluation.
A complete range of pulmonary function tests are available at the new site including:
- Spirometry pre and post bronchodilator testing: determines patient’s response to inhaled bronchodilators and helps to diagnose reactive airway disease.
- Lung volume testing via nitrogen washout: measures lung capacity while breathing pure oxygen and determines increased/decreased lung capacity which can be indicative of certain lung diseases.
- Diffusion capacity testing: measures the amount of oxygen that is transferred from lung tissue into the bloodstream, determines causes for shortness of breath, and monitors for certain disease processes such as asbestosis, scleroderma, etc.
- 6 minute walk and ambulatory oximetry: measures oxygen saturation levels during activity and can qualify patients for home oxygen use.
- Pediatric treadmill testing: helps physicians diagnose and treat patients with exercise-induced reactive airway disease (i.e. asthma).
Southcoast Health System also has pulmonary function testing laboratories at Charlton Memorial Hospital located at 363 Highland Avenue in Fall River and at St. Luke’s Hospital located at 101 Page Street in New Bedford.
For more information on PFT, or to schedule a screening, please call 508-973-3900 or visit http://www.southcoast.org/occhealth/services.