For Immediate Release:
January 12, 2012
Southcoast VNA to offer free health assessments, screenings and wellness education for seniors in February
FAIRHAVEN, Mass. — Southcoast Visiting Nurse Association, known in the community as Southcoast VNA, announces the February schedule for free health assessments, screenings and wellness education for seniors.
This program is designed to help improve the health and well-being of seniors, age 60 and older, who reside in the Greater New Bedford area and is funded in part through a grant from Coastline Elderly Services Inc. and the Massachusetts Executive Office of Elder Affairs.
The program offers free monthly community clinics at various locations throughout the region. Community clinics include health screenings for blood pressure, pulse rate, oxygen levels and blood sugar conducted by Southcoast VNA nurses. Community clinics will also feature an educational component to address medication monitoring, chronic disease management, nutrition and home safety.
The February community clinic schedule is as follows:
- Tuesday, March 6, from 9 to 11 a.m. at Buttonwood Senior Center, 64 Oneida Street in New Bedford.
- Wednesday, March 7, from 10 a.m. to noon at Brooklawn Senior Center, 1979 Acushnet Avenue in New Bedford.
- Thursday, March 8, from 10 a.m. to noon at Immigrants Assistance Center, 58 Crapo Street in New Bedford.
- Thursday, March 15, from 10:30 a.m. to noon at Rochester Council on Aging, 67 Dexter Lane in Rochester.
- Tuesday, March 20, from 10 to 11 a.m. at Hillside Court community room, 525 Coggeshall Street in New Bedford.
- Wednesday, March 21, from 9:30 to 11 a.m. at Brock Avenue Apartments, 790 Brock Avenue in New Bedford.
- Wednesday, March 21, from 11 a.m. to noon at Hazelwood Senior Center, 553 Brock Avenue in New Bedford.
- Tuesday, March 27, from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at Taber Mills Apartments, 217 Deane Street in New Bedford.
- Wednesday, March 28, from 10 to 11:30 a.m. at Downtown Senior Center, 572 Pleasant Street in New Bedford.
Participants identified as having a need for better management of a chronic disease may be offered an in-home monitor that will take daily vital signs in the comfort of the individual's home. A Southcoast VNA telemonitor nurse will monitor the vitals and communicate trends with the participant's physician.
The program will also provide free immunization education and immunization clinics to improve the immunization rate of the elderly in the Greater New Bedford region.
For more information on community clinics, individual assessments or immunization education and clinics, call 800-698-6877.
About Southcoast VNA
Part of Southcoast Health System, Southcoast VNA is one of the largest not-for-profit, community-based home health and hospice care agencies serving Southeastern Massachusetts and East Bay, Rhode Island. For more than 100 years Southcoast VNA has provided high quality, comprehensive home health and hospice services, which foster improvement and maintenance of health, prevention of disease and disability and compassionate end-of life care.
Southcoast VNA is a Medicare and Medicaid certified agency offering a full range of skilled home health care and hospice and palliative care services from highly trained, screened and credentialed health care professionals. Services are available 24 hours a day, every day.
Southcoast VNA's main office is located at the South Coast Business Center at 200 Mill Road in Fairhaven; with community offices located at 244 North Main Street in Raynham, at 1822 North Main Street, Fall River, and at Linden Tree Family Health Center, 2444 East Main Road, Portsmouth, R.I. For more information about Southcoast VNA call 800-698-6877 or visit www.southcoastvna.org.