Note: This page is intended for Southcoast employees only.
Please report on any activity — during your work hours or as a volunteer for community organizations — that support Southcoast's Community Benefits goals and initiatives.
- Reducing high rates of youth risk behaviors such as teen pregnancy and youth violence.
- Reducing high rates of cardiovascular and other chronic diseases such as diabetes and asthma.
- Improving access to health care for un or under-insured families
- Expanding cancer screenings and education.
- Addressing health disparities among certain racial, ethnic and demographic groups.
- Advocacy, development and support of programs that address making changes in our communities that will help residents stay healthy. Examples include volunteer work to create local biking and walking trails, improve nutrition in our schools, reduce the high rate of smoking, create more healthy recreation options for youth and make our communities safer.
If you have any questions about this Community Benefits form, please contact Kerry Mello, Community Benefits Manager, at 508-961-5273 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Southcoast Community Benefits Mission Statement
Southcoast Hospitals Group, which includes Charlton Memorial Hospital, St. Luke's Hospital and Tobey Hospital, is committed to serving the health care needs of the South Coast region.
In recognition of Southcoast's commitment to improving the health status of the communities we serve, the Board of Trustees of Southcoast Hospitals Group has established a Community Benefits Committee to assist in the process of:
- Identifying the unmet health needs of the community by working in collaboration with the relevant community health networks established by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health and other community representatives and providers.
- Prioritizing the identified health needs, utilizing criteria inclusive of the severity of the problem, the availability of alternative resources to address the issue, the benefit to be derived and the potential of collaboration with others to address the need.
- Identifying which needs can most effectively be met through the resources of Southcoast Hospitals Group, and its affiliated corporations, particularly the needs of the uninsured and the medically underserved needing enhanced access to care.
- Collaborating with local health providers, human services agencies, advocacy groups and others to develop cooperative plans and programs to address pressing community health needs.
- Providing educational resources to educate the community regarding health promotion and wellness, particularly to address health issues that disproportionately affect the South Coast. Educational initiatives shall incorporate recognition of the lingustic, cultural and demographic aspects of accessing the health care system.
- Recommending to the Southcoast Hospitals Group Board of Trustees the adoption of meaningful programs and services to address specifically unmet needs and to improve the health of the community.
Community Health Needs Assessment
Southcoast Health System continually strives to understand the health needs of the communities we serve and to offer services aligned with these needs.
Every several years, Southcoast conducts a community health needs assessment and shares the results with our partners in the community. We also make the results available to the public on this website.
This report presents an integrated summary of the major findings from the multi-phase community health needs assessment research conducted for Southcoast in 2009 by Market Street Research of Northampton, Mass., including a broad-based demographic scan, in-depth interviews with key informants and focus groups with residents living in the communities served by Southcoast. It includes detailed findings from the primary qualitative research.
2009 Community Health Needs Assessment (Summary & Focus Groups)
Download Adobe Acrobat PDF file (1.6MB)
2009 Community Health Needs Assessment (Data)
Download Adobe Acrobat PDF file (696KB)