Sodexo Southcoast Dietetic Internship
Dietetic Internship Open House
Monday, January 6th, 2014
Session A: 1:00- 2:15
Session B: 2:30-3:45
RSVP by Thursday, January 2nd
Betty Maloof, MS, RD, LDN, Dietetic Internship Director
In your e-mail please state which session you would like to attend. You will receive a confirmation e-mail.
Location: White Home Living Room at St. Luke’s Hospital
You will have the opportunity to meet with current interns and several preceptors.
The Sodexo Southcoast program accepts 12 interns annually and participates in the April (Spring) match only using the DICAS application system and D & D Digital matching process (see below). The program has two concentration areas; Clinical Nutrition Therapy and Weight Management with 2 start dates, August and January. All 12 interns will be matched in April 2014. Six interns will begin the internship in August 2014 and six will begin in January 2014. Three students will be matched to the each of the concentrations for each start date. Once matched in April, interns will be notified of their actual start date.
The Southcoast program was started in 1989 as an AP4 program and is now accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND). Our program has the dual advantages of being based out of a community hospital group and backed by the resources of a major food service management company.
Sodexo has contracted with Southcoast sites for over 30 years, and the senior food service management team has also been extraordinarily stable. Southcoast is now the largest community hospital-based health system in Massachusetts, but has maintained a family atmosphere and remarkable community responsiveness.
In addition to the Southcoast program, Sodexo has 4 other internship programs. More information on the various Sodexo internships can be found here www.dieteticintern.com. The distance-learning option is offered ONLY by the Lexington, Mass., based program.
We will produce safe and compassionate dietetics practitioners who will build on the skills gained in our internship to provide evidence-based care in a variety of practice settings. Our graduates will promote and advance the professional of dietetics in caring for and improving the health and promoting the wellness, of the individuals and communities they serve.
- The Dietetic Internship will prepare well-rounded dietetic practitioners who are comfortable and confident in clinical, community, and management settings.
- The Dietetic Internship will prepare entry level Registered Dietitians who have a strong clinical knowledge base.
- The Dietetic Internship program will endeavor to ensure that matched applicants will accept the match, complete the program, pass the RD exam, find employment in the nutrition field and meet expectations of employers.
Graduate Outcomes Monitored for Program Effectiveness
- Target for program completion is 100% for 3 out of every 4 years, or 96% overall.
- Target for first time test takers pass rate on the RD exam is 80%.
- Target for employment within three months of program completion is 80%.
Clinical experiences at Southcoast include open heart surgery, diabetes, rehabilitation, hemodialysis, critical care, pulmonology, oncology, surgery, bariatric surgery, geriatrics, mental health, orthopedics and gastroenterology. Interns also rotate through long-term care facilities, and gain competency as consultant dietitians in this setting.
Ambulatory nutrition experiences at Southcoast include the cardiac and pulmonary rehabilitation programs, oncology clinic, hospice, one-on-one nutrition counseling, weight management programs, community nutrition classes and the diabetes management program.
Additional community experiences include public schools, community benefit programs and Fall River WIC Program.
Management, administration, and production experiences are also important to our goal of training well-rounded dietetic practitioners. Interns gain skills in production planning, cash operations, catering, scheduling labor hours, quality improvement, and budgeting; culminating in a menu special planned, marketed and served to both patients and retail customers.
Schedule of Rotations and Program Concentrations
Interns matched to both the nutrition therapy and the weight management concentration will complete the core curriculum which consists of the following:
2 weeks of orientation
5 weeks of food service management to include patient services
18 weeks clinical nutrition (Clinical I, II, III-16 weeks, RD Practice-2 weeks)
4 weeks ambulatory care (outpatient counseling, bariatrics, diabetes treatment center)
2 weeks of long term care
1 week clinical nutrition management
1 week research
2 weeks community (WIC, cardiac prevention, VNA)
1 week wellness
1 week plan your own (PYO)
Interns matched to the Nutrition Therapy Concentration will complete an additional 4 weeks in clinical III with a focus on nutrition support and an additional week of RD practice.
Interns matched to the Weight Management Concentration will complete an additional 4 weeks in weight management. Southcoast is designated as a Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery. The Southcoast Center for Weight Loss also offers an Optifast Program, a Create Your Weight Program as well as individualized weight loss counseling.
Classroom training is provided most weeks. Class days give interns the opportunity to participate in dietitians' meeting, journal club, and classes planned by staff dietitians, physicians, and outside speakers. Professional workshops are also frequently planned into the agenda. Case studies and group participation are used to emphasize "hands-on" practical and applicable learning. In addition, our program is fortunate to participate in joint class days with several of the Boston area dietetic internship programs.
Requirements for Internship Program Completion
- Complete the minimum 1,200 hours of supervised practice as required by ACEND.
- Complete the core curriculum and additional hours as defined by concentration either Nutrition Therapy or Weight Management to which the intern has been matched.
- Complete graduation requirements in addition to rotations.
- Complete full payment of the program fee.
Credentialing Process for Dietitians
Completion of a didactic program provides the foundation knowledge and skills necessary as a base for "hands-on" learning. The internship program builds on this foundation to provide practitioner competencies for entry level dietetics practice. This internship includes additional depth in nutrition therapy competencies. Successful completion of the internship results in eligibility to take the dietetic registration exam.
At the completion of the internship, the verification statement is conferred, signifying that the intern has completed all program requirements and is eligible to sit for the dietetic registration exam.
The Sodexo Southcoast Hospitals Group is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition & Dietetics of the Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics, 120 South Riverside Plaza, Chicago, IL 60606, 312-889-5400.
About our Interns and Graduates
Our current intern class class are graduates of University of North Carolina Greensboro, Syracuse University, Rochester Institute of Technology, University of Vermont, University of Rhode Island, University of Colorado, and University of Massachusetts.
Although a great number of our interns come into the internship directly from college, for others it is a second career. Previous experience of interns include nursing, nutrition research, pharmaceutical sales, real estate, entrepreneurship, food service management and teaching animal behavior.
Recent graduates have started their careers as clinical dietitians, consulting dietitians, diabetic educators, outpatient dietitians, pharmaceutical representatives, in community outreach programs and as food service managers. Approximately 50 percent are working for Sodexo.
Graduates from previous classes remain involved in our program through precepting regular or optional rotations, through presenting at class days and through helping new graduates to make job contacts. We are also fortunate to have 12 of our own graduates on staff at Southcoast Health System.
About the South Coast Area
Fall River, New Bedford and Wareham are communities with a rich heritage and a promising future. Visitors to the area are attracted by beaches, boating and factory outlets. Cultural attractions include the New Bedford Whaling Museum, the Zeiterion Theater, New Bedford Symphony and the University of Massachusetts at Dartmouth. Boston, Cape Cod, Providence and Newport, R.I., are all less than one hour away. The cost of living in the Southcoast area is very reasonable.
Sodexo and Southcoast Hospitals Group are committed to a policy of nondiscrimination and equal opportunity without regard for race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by law. The Sodexo Southcoast Hospitals Group Internship Program provides equal opportunity. There will be no discrimination in the recruitment, selection or training of interns.
Entrance Date & Program Length
The program has two start dates, one in August and one in the following January. Interns will have the opportunity to submit their start date preference during the application process. They will be informed of their state date during the acceptance phase of the application process. The program lasts approximately 9 1/2 months, or 41 weeks plus 1 week of vacation in late December and early January.
Payment in full is expected prior to the first day of the start of the internship. Please refer to our Internship Policies for payment schedule, withdrawal and refunds.
- Affiliate membership in the Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics, at $50/year, is required.
- Some basic reference books costing approximately $200 are also required.
- Students are responsible for paying for their own meals.
- Interns will be required to purchase an encrypted flash drive from the internship. The cost of the flash drive is approximately $30.
Rental housing is generally available in the area at reasonable rates.
Interns are responsible for their own transportation and must have a reliable vehicle in order to participate in rotations at various sites. Car insurance is mandatory in the state of Massachusetts.
Interns generally work an 8 1/2 hour day during affiliations, usually starting at 7 a.m., 8 a.m. or 9 a.m. Some production and management rotations begin as early as 5:30 a.m. or run as late as 8 p.m. Community programs may also occur in the evenings. Interns should plan for an additional 1-2 hours/day for readings and assignments. Most interns are able to accommodate part-time jobs on evenings and weekends into their schedule.
Weekends, Holidays & Vacation
Weekends are generally not included in rotations. However during staff relief, interns will be required to report for supervised practice on an occasional weekend and or holiday. Interns are scheduled for a one week vacation. A list of observed holidays can be found in our policies handbook.
Interns are responsible for providing their own health and accident insurance. Interns are responsible for their own safety during affiliations and travel time. Professional liability insurance is provided by the program.
Interns are required to have a physical examination prior to the official start of the internship. This examination is provided by Employee Health and is free to the student. Drug testing is required. Immunizations will be updated if not current including tuberculosis testing and annual flu vaccine.
Criminal Background Check
A background check will be performed on each intern. The intern will be responsible for fees associated. Background check fees typically range from $45.-$150.
Financial Aid/Loan Deferments/Scholarships
The Sodexo Southcoast Hospitals Internship does not offer financial aid. It is the intern's responsibility to obtain loan deferments; the program director will provide a letter of verification that the intern has been admitted to an Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics-sanctioned program. Sodexo offers a limited number of scholarships for which interns may apply after being selected for the program.
The intern will provided one white lab coat and responsible for laundering. Usual attire will be business clothes, closed-toed shoes, white lab coat and name tag. While working in production areas, students will wear non-skid, flat shoes, and appropriate casual clothes. Interns will be provided with a written dress code during orientation.
Application Requirements, Acceptance and Matching Process
Requirements for Admissions:
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university.
- Completion of an Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics-approved Didactic Program in Dietetics with a signed verification statement, prior to start of the program.
Interviews & Visits:
You are encouraged to visit the program to help you determine if you wish to apply. Speaking to preceptors and current students, as well as seeing the facility, will help you make this decision.
You are also welcome to call with any questions. Getting familiar with the program always helps with writing your application letter! We may also request a personal interview with you as part of the selection process. Letting us know you're interested increases your chances of being selected!
Deadline for Application:
February 15, 2014, is the postmark deadline for submitting applications.
All complete computer matching information, including computer matching dates with deadlines, is on the Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics Website at http://www.eatright.org/ACEND/content.aspx?id=186&terms=computer+matching+calendar
- This program is using the on-line centralized internship application, DICAS, which may be accessed at https://portal.dicas.org, e-mail wmaDICASinfo@DICAS.org. DICAS will be available after December 1, 2013, for the Spring 2014 Match. The on-line application must be completed for our program by 11:59 p.m. Central Time on February 15, 2014. The fee to use DICAS is $40 for the first application submitted and $20 for each additional application.
- NOTE: In DICAS you must select the Sodexo Southcoast concentration to which you are applying. The Weight Management concentration and the Nutrition Therapy concentration are listed separately under the Sodexo Southcoast account.
- You may apply to one or both concentrations however, your application will ONLY be considered for the concentration(s) to which you have selected in DICAS. Once the DICAS portal has closed, students will not be able to add or change their choice of concentration.
- When completing the application form, applicants must include the name and contact information (specifically an e-mail address) for each reference. This will trigger an e-mail message requesting completion of a reference form. The form will be completed on-line. Students submitting more than one application will need to use the same individuals as references for each application.
- Applicants who apply to internships using DICAS will be asked to complete a personal statement. Questions to be addressed in the personal statement include:
- Why do you want to enter the dietetics profession?
- Discuss experiences that have helped to prepare you for your career.
- What are your short-term and long-term goals?
- What are your strengths and weaknesses or areas needing improvement?
- 1,000 word limit.
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended should be sent to:
- DICAS - Transcript Dept
PO Box 9118
Watertown, MA 02472
- Applicants must also register online for computer matching at www.dnddigital.com and select dietetic internship priority choices by 11:59 p.m. Central Time on February 15, 2014. There is a $50 computer matching fee.
- Please note that there are two separate D& D codes for the two concentrations of the program. You must choose the correct D & D code. You may apply to one or to both concentrations. If you are applying to both concentrations, you must apply to each program code.
Internship Application Fee:
There is also a $50 application fee due to the internship by February 15, 2014. If you are applying to both the nutrition therapy and weight management concentration, the fee is $75. If you are applying to only one concentration, please note the specific concentration to which you are applying. Please make check payable to Sodexo and send to:
Betty Maloof, MS, RD
Southcoast Hospitals Group
St. Luke's Hospital, Food & Nutrition Department
101 Page St.
New Bedford, MA 02740
508-997-1515 x 3961
Preferred start date:
Included in the envelope with your application fee to the internship, you must state your preferred start date, either August 2014 or January 2014 or state Ôno preference'. If matched to the program, you will be informed of the actual start date at the time that you accept your match with the internship director.
Computer Matching Phase
- Applicants are responsible for notifying D&D Digital, in writing, of a decision to withdraw from the matching process if circumstances will prevent them from accepting a match that may occur.
- Applicants are responsible for telephoning D&D Digital if they cannot access the D&D Digital Internet site to view their personal matching results on Notification Day.
- Applicants who receive a computer match DI appointment are responsible for accepting or rejecting the match by telephone or fax by 5:00 pm (of the program's time zone) on Appointment Day.
- Applicants who submitted a Declaration of Intent to Complete form with their DI applications must obtain a signed DPD Verification Statement from their DPD Program Director and official transcript documenting completion of the bachelor's degree before they may begin the DI.
Important Applicant Responsibilities
Participants in the computer matching process are expected to adhere to the results of the match and accept a match that may occur. It is unethical to decline a match in order to pursue appointment to another program.
Programs with open positions will be posted on the D&D Digital Web site the day following Appointment Day. Applicants who do not receive a computer match must not contact any program with open positions until the day following Appointment Day. In addition, please do not ask your Didactic Program Director to inquire about programs with open positions until the day programs with open positions are posted. This allows the DI programs time to confirm acceptance from their matched applicants and determine the process they will use to fill open positions.
- February 15, 2014: Applicants must register online at www.dnddigital.com, pay the $50 computer match fee by credit card and enter their contact information and Dietetic Internship preferences by 11:59 pm Central Time February 15, 2014.
- Applicants who have registered for the match by February 15, 2014, can reorder Dietetic Internship priority rankings; however, no additional internships can be added to the list. No changes in DI rankings may be made after 11:59 pm Central Time on April 1, 2014. If you make other arrangements and will not be able to accept a match that may occur, you must notify D&D Digital in writing of your decision to withdraw from Dietetic Internship matching by April 1, 2014 . The $50 matching fee is not refundable.
- Sunday, April 7, 2014, through April 8, 2014 (Appointment Day): Applicant matching results will be posted on www.dnddigital.com from 6:00 PM Central Time. This is the ONLY source of notification for applicants. Each applicant will receive either ONE MATCH or NO MATCH after Log In. All applicants who receive ONE MATCH will find the matched DI program name and contact information to accept the matched appointment. The MATCHED DI program is planning that the MATCH will be accepted.
- Matched applicants must contact the Dietetic Internship program by telephone, FAX or e-mail on or before 5:00 PM (time zone of the program), April 9, 2014 to confirm acceptance of the MATCH. Please contact program director Betty Maloof, MS, RD by telephone 508-997-1515 x 3961 or fax 508-961-5166 or email@example.com. After this time, the program is under no obligation to hold the opening for the matched applicant.
- Wednesday, April 10, 2014: Names of Dietetic Internship programs that did not fill their class and authorized release of their name will be posted on www.dnddigital.com. Applicants who did not match and Dietetic Internship
- Directors with openings may contact each other.
Thank you. We look forward to hearing from you. Please call us if any of these instructions are unclear.
Betty Maloof, MS, RD
508-997-1515 x 3961