Southcoast has one of the largest Cardiac Rehabilitation Programs in New England, with more than 60,000 per year.
The program helps heart patients develop healthier lifestyles through supervised exercise and education and offers special programs for patients with chronic diseases such as heart failure, diabetes and respiratory problems.
All three hospitals have pulmonary as well as cardiac rehab programs, helping patients with respiratory disease lead healthier lives.
Cardiac Rehabilitation Outpatient Program
The Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation Outpatient Program uses a team approach to work with you to develop an individualized plan for your recovery.
The program uses a multidisciplinary approach. Nurses, physical therapists, dietitians and exercise physiologists participate in the program. Through education and exercise, the cardiac patients learn to improve their lifestyles to include habits that promote health.
Southcoast offers an individualized exercise program within a group setting, directed by health professionals. This includes cardiac monitoring during exercise and teaching sessions on risk factor modification (i.e., diet, stress management, exercise and smoking cessation).
Classes are held for 90 minutes at various times throughout the day.
The program is a structured exercise and education program for people who:
- Are recovering from a heart attack, heart surgery or angioplasty.
- Have documented coronary heart disease.
- Are at high risk for developing coronary heart disease.
The program will help you:
- Initiate a lifelong routine of exercise and risk factor modification.
- Promote the recovery process from a heart attack or heart surgery, and maintain an optimal level of wellness.
- Increase your tolerance for exercise and activity.
- Learn about prescribed medications.
- Return to work and/or previous level of fitness.
- Develop healthy eating habits and learn about nutrition.
- Deal with stress and learn healthy coping mechanisms.
- Cope with emotional or social problems that may arise during arise during your recovery.
Most insurance policies cover this program. If you need assistance, financial counseling is available to help plan for your care.
Pulmonary Rehabilitation Outpatient Program
The Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program is a structured exercise and education program for individuals with pulmonary disease such as:
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD).
- Pulmonary Fibrosis.
The program uses a multidisciplinary approach where respiratory therapists, physical therapists, nurses, exercise physiologists and dietitians take part in bringing the latest advances and information to each patient.
Through education and exercise, the pulmonary rehabilitation patient learns better breathing techniques and ways to manage their lung disease. Directed by health care professionals, the program includes individualized exercise within a group setting, oxygen saturation monitoring during exercise and education sessions.
The Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program help patients learn more about the causes of shortness of breath and how to deal with them, increase exercise and activity tolerance, and develop strategies to manage activities of daily living.
Most insurance policies cover this program. If you need assistance, financial counseling is available to help you plan your care.