Southcoast surgeons may perform da Vinci® robotic-assisted surgery to treat some of these conditions.
Surgery is commonly required to treat certain cardiac conditions when medication and catheter-based treatments cannot relieve your symptoms.
Conditions that affect the heart and may be treated with da Vinci® surgery are:
- Mitral valve dysfunction: When one or both flaps that normally open and close to control blood flow do not work properly, allowing either small amounts of blood to flow backwards in the heart valve or obstructing the blood flow.
- Atrial septal defect: A congenital defect between the left and right chambers of the heart.
- Coronary artery disease: Arteries that supply blood to the heart narrow and harden.
- Tumors of the heart: Benign masses that sometimes can be totally resected.
- Biliary Dyskinesia.
Disease of the large bowel
- Ulcerative Colitis.
- Cancerous tumor.
- Hiatal Hernia.
Gynecology - Hysterectomy
A wide variety of gynecologic conditions may affect a woman's reproductive system including her uterus and cause the need for a hysterectomy. Some common types of conditions are:
- Fibroids: Non-cancerous growths in the uterine wall.
- Endometriosis: Non-cancerous growths of the uterine lining.
- Prolapse: Falling or slipping of the uterus.
- Excessive menstrual bleeding.
Urology - Prostate Cancer
da Vinci® robotic-assisted surgery is a treatment option for Prostate Cancer — malignant cells form in the tissues of the prostate. With da Vinci surgery, the prostate is completely removed.